Easter lily warning for cat owners

White kitten looking at a lily
Lilies are highly toxic to cats and should be looked out for this holiday period.

Often found in bouquets or potted for Easter, lilies are highly toxic to cats and should be looked out for this holiday period.

Lilium longiflorum, also known as the November Lily, Christmas or Easter Lily, is a familiar bloom widely recognized by its large white trumpet shaped flowers and unmistakable (luscious!) smell. It often features in bouquets and floral arrangements and is commonly associated with celebrations and holidays. While a lovely flower to have around, cat owners need to be aware that ‘true’ lilies (Lilium and Hemerocallis species) are extremely toxic and potentially fatal for our feline friends. Lily toxicity is unique to cats, and if not recognized and treated swiftly will lead to acute kidney failure and sometimes death.

Bunch of white Easter lilies
Lilium longiflorum commonly known as Easter lily

Lily poisoning occurs after a cat ingests part of the plant (the entire plant is toxic) with signs showing within two hours. Cat owners should look out for drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and loss of appetite. If you suspect your cat has been exposed to or has ingested lilies, seek veterinary advice immediately.  Most cats that are treated aggressively within 18 hours of exposure have a good prognosis, however those cases not recognized and/or not treated quickly usually will not survive.

For more information on lily toxicity in cats, please visit Pet Poison Hotline and please share this important information with your family and friends.

Search U-Vet Werribee Animal Hospital

Home | About U-Vet | Services for your pet | Equine Centre | Referring Vets | News | Contact Us

Subscribe to our newsletter | Donate to U-Vet | U-Vet Facebook | Equine Centre Facebook