Our Intensive Care Unit provides round the clock care for the sickest animals in the hospital. Your veterinarian can refer your pet for intensive care via our Emergency Service. Any critically ill pet seen by our other referral services is also cared for in the ICU. We have a new, state-of-the-art ICU, opened in November 2018, that is fully equipped and staffed to provide the highest levels of intensive care.
What makes us unique
Our Intensive Care Unit is unique because:
Our dedicated emergency and intensive care team of 15 vets is headed by 5 senior clinicians who are all experts in emergency and intensive care. All our vets are highly trained in emergency and intensive care medicine and most have advanced qualifications.
- Our large, highly trained, emergency and intensive care nursing team includes 7 nurses with advanced qualifications in emergency and intensive care.
- We know how upsetting and worrying it is when your pet is critically ill. We are all pet owners ourselves and will try our best to support you while we care for your pet.
- We have a purpose-built intensive care unit
- We can perform a wide range of tests 24 hours a day
- We offer comprehensive intensive care for patients and have access to all of our other specialist services within our hospital should we need to call on their expertise.
Services we offer
We offer a full range of intensive care, including:
- Intensive care for dogs and cats with any life-threatening condition
- We specialise in treating the most serious heart, lung, brain, kidney and liver problems such as shock (life-threatening low blood pressure), serious infections, difficulty breathing, neurological conditions, snakebite, poisoning, kidney and liver failure and anaemia.
- Blood transfusion for dogs and cats
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Intensive care is inevitably expensive, but we will sensitively help you determine what’s best for you and your pet.
- True intensive care level veterinary and nursing care and patient monitoring
- Advanced respiratory care including an advanced, non-invasive, oxygen supplementation system and artificial ventilation (life support) with two state-of-the-art ventilators
- Emergency blood and urine tests including haematology, biochemistry, blood gas and coagulation analysis
- Full onsite diagnostic imaging services (digital radiography, ultrasound, CT and MRI) and specialist radiologists.
Our dedicated intensive care team are able to coordinate with our other specialist services all of whom can assist in providing the best comprehensive care to make the best decisions for you and your pet. We always work closely with your own veterinarian to coordinate your pet’s care.
ECC specialty trained
Trudi McAlees BSc, BVSc (Massey), MANZCVS (anaesthesia and critical care), FANZCVS (emergency and critical care)
Merrin Hicks BVSc (Hons) BMedSc MVSc FANZCVS
Kylie Kelers BSc BVMS MVS FANZCVS
Patricia Rosenstein DVM, Dip. ACVECC
Erica Tinson BSc, BVSc (Hons), Dip. ACVECC
Adelina Chan BVSc, Grad. Dip. Vet. Stud, Dip. ACVECC
Monique Stanley BVSc (Hons), Dip. ACVECC
Sarah Gaudette BSc (Hons), BVSc (Hons), Dip. ACVECC