WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING NEUROLOGY REFERRALS. From 18 November to 18 December, we will be joined by American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine board certified neurologist Dr Michelle Tensley.
Neurology is a branch of medicine dealing with disorders of the nervous system: the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles. Our neurology team sees a wide range of patients by referral from within U-Vet and external vet clinics.
What makes us unique
The neurology service provides the highest standard of neurology and neurosurgery consultations and treatments for animals under our care.
Our team is also involved in neurological research and run clinical trials. Some of our research interests include idiopathic polyradiculoneuritis (“coonhound paralysis”), the treatment of epilepsy, the diagnosis and treatment of brain tumours, the development of minimally invasive brain surgery techniques, syringomyelia (spinal cord cyst) and degenerative myelopathy.
Services we offer
We offer a range of neurology services, including:
- Treatment of neurological conditions, including:
- Intervertebral disc disease (slipped discs)
- Inflammatory brain diseases
- Diseases of the nerves and muscles
- Wobbler’s syndrome (disease of the cervical spine)
- Degenerative myelopathy (progressive disease of the spinal cord)
- Brain tumours
- Sophisticated neurosurgical procedures, including:
- Spinal surgery including decompressive surgery as well as spinal stabilisation
- Brain surgery
- Placement of ventriculoperitoneal shunts for the treatment of hydrocephalus
- Muscle and nerve biopsies
- Comprehensive range of diagnostic tests including:
- Electrophysiology testings including EMG and nerve conduction studies
- Brainstem auditory evoked response (BAER) testing to diagnose deafness
- Digital radiography and myelography
- C-arm (fluoroscopy) to perform guided procedures.
Our dedicated neurology team is able to coordinate with our other specialist services all of whom can assist in providing the best comprehensive care to make the best decisions for you and your pet.
- We use high quality, comprehensive equipment such as 16 slice CT scanner and a 3.0 T MRI as well as electrodiagnostics to provide accurate diagnosis for your pet which ensures they get the right treatment for their condition
- A fully-equipped surgical suite enables us to perform sophisticated neurosurgical procedures.